From Oranges Blues
Revision as of 10:04, 22 November 2018 by Pat Moss
- 1 1/2 pound frankfurters, hot dogs, or mild German or Polish sausage, cut into 2 1/2-inch segments
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried dill, or 1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup beef broth or chicken broth
- 1 large (25 to 28 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 2 cups sour cream
- Heat a large thick-bottomed pan or Dutch oven on medium heat.
- Melt the butter, add the onion, garlic, and paprika, cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the franks, dill, caraway, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut, simmer, covered, 15 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat, stir in the sour cream (do not let the mixture boil after you've added the sour cream).
Serves 8. Serve plain, or with boiled or mashed potatoes.