From Oranges Blues
A Meringue and Ice Cream Torte.
- 9 Eggs
- 18 tablespoons of Sugar
- a pinch of Cream of Tartar
- Whipping Cream
- 2 pints of Ice Cream (Spumoni Works Best)
- Fresh Fruit
To make meringue layers
- Preheat oven to 250 F
- On each of three large baking sheets place a 10” circle of brown paper – set aside
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks, then gradually add sugar – continuing to beat for at least 5 minutes, until meringue is glossy.
- Add cream of tartar and beat in.
- Divide the meringue between the three circles and spread into circular form.
- Bake about 1½ hours until crisp and dry – turn off the oven, cool in oven with oven door ajar.
- Line two 10” pie plates with wax paper.
- Slightly thaw the ice cream and spread to form layers. Re-freeze until firm.
- Starting with a meringue layer, build the vacherin – alternate the layers of ice cream and meringue.
- Cover with whipped cream – decorate with fruit.