Tuna Putanesca Rice Casserole
From Oranges Blues
- 2 cups rice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 1 turn of the pan
- 2 6-ounce cans olive oil–packed tuna, lightly drained
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
- Calamata olives, pitted and chopped (a handful -- I double this)
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (a generous handful)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 handfuls of shredded cheese
- Add the rice to a pot. Cover with 2 knuckles of water.
- Bring a water to a boil. Salt the water. Turn heat off and cover.
- Wait 10 minutes and have a glass of wine with your guests.
- While the rice is working, heat a deep skillet over medium heat with the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan.
- Add the tuna, flaking it with a wooden spoon.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the capers and olives and heat until warmed through, 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and parsley, lower the heat a little and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir the sauce.
- Wait for rice to cook.
- Cover with the rice and then cover with the cheese and lemon zest.
- Replace the lid and wait until cheese is melted. Categpory:Casserole